I recently celebrated a big birthday, my 21st birthday on February 28th. As I've celebrated my special day with loving family, friends, and delicious drink specials at bars, I came to the realization that the year of being 20 years old, for me, has ultimately changed my life. I've noticed that I have become more "grown up" as they say by doing the ultimate mature adult thing: moving out of the house, renting my own apartment and paying for most of my expenses. As I thought I was ready to be a full adult, I quickly realized how much of a struggle it is to fend for yourself without any assistance. However, it was my decision so I'm dealing with true adulthood a little before my official calling after college. As I pondered on my new adulthood lifestyle, I also reflected on some theories, concepts, opinions, and facts about myself and others that I've noticed during my reign as a 20 year old in the world. I'll share them with you:
1. It's okay to say "NO" sometimes
2. However, don't let someone tell you "NO" as the end result of not being able to accomplish something
3. I feel as if I'm sometimes left out or forgotten in situations but I've realized it's because of my shyness that I don't speak up or make lasting impressions when I'm around a group of people...something I am personally working on
4. Start a 2nd savings account to help you save money for future needs (I've already accumulated a couple hundred dollars from payroll deposits and YouTube earnings since starting in January 2014)
5. I have my own personal complexes & I am currently dealing with, altering, or embracing each and every one of them
6. Love yourself first or else no one else will
7. There are sooooooo many different uses for Coconut Oil...I love it!
8. Make-up foundation is not for me. No matter the brand, it makes me look washed out or ashy
9. "What Suzie says of Sally says more of Susies than of Sally..." Remember that, #DEEP
10. Leggings are pants, thank you very much.
11. Avocados/Guacamole are magically delicious...and healthy
12. You lose your tastebuds as you get older (The other day I had a bowl of Lucky Charms and could not taste the sugary goodness from the marshmallows, a moment I used to cherish as a child....how disappointing)
13. Maintaining natural hair is harder than most people think...it's no friggin' joke!
14. There are reasons why we pay people for certain services, we all aren't capable of doing everything on our own
15. That being said, it's okay to ask for assistance
16. There's a time and a place for everything
17. I'm not a fan of the whole #teamlightskin or #teamdarkskin battle amongst black people in society, but I think #teambrownskin is where it's at! LOL
18. Twerking is indeed a talent.
19. Don't wait until the last minute to do everything that needs to get done, it'll put you so far behind and will stress you out more than ever in the long run
20. Your family are the closest people you'll ever have to you...always remember "blood is thicker than water"
These are just a few things that I've observed and developed as prominent more so at the age of 20. Who knows what life will hit me with at the age of 21. Can't wait to see what the next 357 days have in store.
Until next time,